Can someone get me the photo of Dustin Pedroia standing in front of a sleepy Bobby Valentine? I want to frame it and put it in my office. Thanks.
A great job last night by Lucas Harrell raised our streaming starter record to 73-49. Today's pick is Bud Norris (owned in 13 percent of FOXSports.com leagues), and Thursday's choice is Kris Medlen (8.9 percent owned) versus the Padres.
On to the news:
- The Nationals are targeting a Friday return from the DL for fantasy's best shortstop, Ian Desmond. According to the Nats' website, the date isn't guaranteed, but Desmond should be ready to go if he gets through a workout today and a simulated game on Thursday. Keep your fingers crossed if you own Desmond.
- Reds 1B Joey Votto, who reinjured his knee last week while rehabbing, says he won't return until he's "100 percent ready to play." The most recent timetable on Votto had his comeback pegged for next weekend, and it's uncertain if his pronouncement changes anything. Stay tuned.
- Rays SP Matt Moore is rolling, and he's still available in 30.2 percent of FOXSports.com leagues for some reason. Those must be the leagues with two-man pitching staffs.
- With Kelly Shoppach traded to the Mets, Ryan Lavarnway will share time behind the plate with Jarrod Saltalamacchia for the Red Sox. Lavarnway's eight homers at Triple A this season were a big step down from his 32 minor-league homers last year, but he posted a solid .815 OPS and has a history of good batting averages. The Sox seem to like Lavarnway's defense as well, and I'd take a chance on him in a standard mixed league if I had a spot to fill.
- Blue Jays OF Colby Rasmus missed his fourth consecutive game on Tuesday due to a groin injury, and hopes to DH today.
- In other Jays' news, Brandon Morrow threw four-and-two-thirds scoreless innings on 67 pitches in his latest rehab start on Tuesday, and is on target for an August 24 return from the DL.
- Rockies 1B/OF Michael Cuddyer is expected to come off the DL on Thursday. This Denver Post notebook also mentions that OF Eric Young Jr. is leading the majors in hits since July 31. I wish EY would run a little more.
- There are six afternoon games on today's schedule, beginning with Phillies-Marlins at 12:40 p.m. ET. Set your lineups accordingly.
- Reds 3B Scott Rolen is still day-to-day with a sore back.
- Speedy Royals OF Jarrod Dyson is hoping to play today; he's been out since Friday with a sore ankle.
- Non-fantasy note: Here's an interesting column on the looming shutdown of Stephen Strasburg.
- After last night's outing, Tigers SP Doug Fister has a 1.35 ERA and a 0.86 WHIP in his last seven starts, with 48 strikeouts against eight walks in 53 1/3 innings. Pretty impressive, huh?
- If Jaime Garcia recovers well from last night's rehab start, he could be back on the mound for the Cardinals on Sunday. Joe Kelly is pitching like he doesn't want to lose his rotation spot, though.
- The Phillies hope to reactivate 3B Placido Polanco on Monday. Try to contain your excitement.
- Josh Donaldson will be the A's primary third baseman during Brandon Inge's DL stint. This news is more interesting than you'd think because Donaldson is also eligible at catcher. Donaldson batted .335 with 13 homers and five stolen bases in 51 Triple-A games this season.
- The Twins have sent struggling rookie SS Brian Dozier to the minors. Jamey Carroll started at short last night for the Twins.
- Angels RP Scott Downs figures to come off the DL later this week. Remember that Downs was sharing closing duties with strike-challenged Ernesto Frieri before he got hurt.
- Cubs SP Matt Garza (elbow) is probably done for the season.
- Here's a review of Josh Johnson's season, which looks a lot better if you take April out of the equation.
See you back here tomorrow morning.