The bad news: My woeful, pitiful Giants fell to 0-6 last night. The good news: My team in the FOX Sports Experts League has such bad options at RB2 that I plugged in Brandon Jacobs for a desperation start, and he got me 23.4 points. Woooooo!
On to the news:
- Lions WR Calvin Johnson (knee) returned to practice Thursday on a limited basis, and his playing status is likely to be a gametime decision. If you own Johnson, no golf or church for you on Sunday morning - you need to wait for the inactive lists to be released at 11:30 a.m. ET.
- Eagles QB Michael Vick (hamstring) is hinting that he might be able to play on Sunday, but he probably won't. Nick Foles is the presumed starter, and stands at QB24 in my rankings.
- As the Boston Herald noted, Thursday was the 39th day of Rob Gronkowski's day-to-day status. Remember that the Patriots have a 4:25 start against the Saints on Sunday, so if Gronk's status isn't determined today, you might have to make a decision before early-game lineups are set. And you never pick the guy whose status is a maybe.
- Raiders RB Darren McFadden (hamstring) appears to be tracking toward a Sunday return.
- Reminder: The Falcons and Dolphins are off this week. Speaking of the Falcons, you know that Julio Jones is out for the rest of the season with a foot injury, right?
- Bills WR Stevie Johnson has been absent from practice this week due to a death in his family, and while his status for Sunday is uncertain, it sounds like he'll play. Thad Lewis will start at quarterback for the Bills.
- Texans WR Andre Johnson has been missing practice time due to a shin injury, and head coach Gary Kubiak said Johnson's status will be a gametime decision.
- Jaguars WR Cecil Shorts (groin) is expected to play on Sunday, and as noted on Thursday's Fantasy 15 podcast, I've got him slated for garbage-time fantasy heroics along with teammates Justin Blackmon and Chad Henne. If you'd like to listen or subscribe to the Fantasy 15, here's the new iTunes location.
- In other Jags' news, TE Marcedes Lewis (calf) probably won't play against the Broncos.
- Hey, Antonio Brown owners: Jets CB Antonio Cromartie might not play Sunday due to a knee injury.
- In other Jets' news, neither TE Kellen Winslow (knee) nor WR Santonio Holmes (foot/hamstring) has practiced this week.
- With Stevan Ridley expected to return this week, the Patriots' backfield is a fantasy mess. I've got Ridley at RB30, LeGarrette Blount at RB36 and Brandon Bolden at RB38. In other words, I have no idea what's going to happen there.
- The 49ers aren't saying why QB Colin Kaepernick (foot) is on the injury report, but you shouldn't worry about it, as he's been practicing.
- The Packers will be without LBs Clay Matthews and Brad Jones this week.
- The Chiefs expect RB Jamaal Charles (toe blisters) and WR Donnie Avery (shoulder) to play Sunday. If there were real concerns about Charles, I'd have mentioned him earlier in this blog post.
- Broncos CB Champ Bailey (foot) is expected to make his 2013 debut on Sunday. I'm still all-in on Shorts and Blackmon.
- Adam Meyer, Joel Beall and I will host our weekly chat from 10 a.m. until 1 p.m. ET on Sunday. Stop by if you have last-minute questions. You can also reach me on Facebook and Twitter all weekend.
Good luck in Week 6!