You want to grab Julius Thomas after his monster game last night? Go ahead if your current tight end is so-so, but there are plenty of receiving mouths to feed in Denver. Thomas (owned in 14.6 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) might be good - even very good - but he probably won't be Jimmy Graham. I'd still rather have Greg Olsen and Jordan Cameron, and probably Brandon Myers (gotta think about the rest for more than a few hours). Thomas is somewhere in between a flash in the pan and the fantasy free agent pickup of the year.
On to the news:
- Are the Dolphins: A) Trying to mess with fantasy owners; B) Trying to mess with the Browns; or C) Completely crazy? Head coach Joe Philbin said the running back situation is "very, very close" between starter Lamar Miller and Daniel Thomas, and Thomas later said that "we’re all going to get pretty much the same amount of reps." What's a fantasy owner to do? This one moved Thomas from RB55 to RB48, but left Miller at RB21. The Dolphins probably aren't dumb enough to let Thomas run as often as the far superior Miller. I'm not blowing off Thursday's comments, but I'm not going to freak out about them, either.
- Rob Gronkowski has been practicing, but in this video, a Boston Globe reporter says he's not in "football shape," and predicts a Week 4 return. There's always worry about a game day surprise with the Pats, but you probably shouldn't waste time praying for a quicker-than-expected return from Gronk.
- In other Pats' news, WR Danny Amendola (groin) was limited in practice, but it soulds like he'll play.
- Falcons WR Roddy White (ankle) returned to practice on Wednesday, and is expected to play against the Saints.
- It looks like Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell will split carries for the Jets on Sunday, with Ivory getting the goal-line work and Powell seeing third-down reps. I have both backs in flex territory this week (Ivory RB30, Powell RB37).
- The Giants should decide today if DE Jason Pierre-Paul (back) will play on Sunday. JPP's absence would make the Cowboys' offense even more potent than it already is.
- Seahawks WR Percy Harvin tweeted on Wednesday that fans should "keep an eye on Week 7." Hmm ...
- The Santonio Holmes outlook is confusing, with the New York Postreporting that Holmes should be active but might see limited snaps.
- Jaguars QB Blaine Gabbert (thumb) is still iffy for Sunday. Whether Gabbert or Chad Henne plays shouldn't affect your outlook on WR Cecil Shorts.
- Vikings DT Kevin Williams (knee) appears unlikely to play Sunday. That might help the Lions' offense a bit.
- Don't expect Cardinals TE Rob Housler (ankle) to play this week.
- Reminder: Rams RB Isaiah Pead and Browns WR Josh Gordon are suspended this week. Gordon will be out next week as well.
- Reggie Bush is a "guy you want to build your run game around" and is "going to touch the ball a lot," according to Lions offensive coordinator Scott Linehan. Big year coming.
- On Sunday, we'll have our first three-hour pregame chat of the season, with Adam Meyer leading off at 10 a.m. ET, Joel Beall stepping in at 11, and me finishing up from noon until 1. Stop by, OK?
- If you have questions to ask offline, hit me on Facebook or Twitter.
See you back here later today with a baseball post. The next football blog entry will come on Tuesday. Good luck in Week 1!