Kevin Gausman's start was a mixed bag. He looks plenty talented, but I still don't think I'd grab him in a standard mixed league.
First pitch: Both leagues get started in the 7 p.m. ET hour tonight.
Interleague DH issues: The Marlins, who are in Chicago to face the White Sox, can barely put together an eight-man lineup, let alone find a DH. Chris Coghlan and/or Austin Kearns, I guess?
Streaming starters: Rick Porcello's Thursday flop dropped us to 33-17 for the season. The weekend picks are Bronson Arroyo (owned in 27.9 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Cubs tonight, Miami's Ricky Nolasco (3.8 percent owned) at the White Sox on Saturday, and Anaheim's Jerome Williams (9.6 percent owned) at Kansas City on Sunday.
On to the news:
- Phillies 2B Chase Utley is expected to miss 2-4 weeks with what the Phillies are calling a "very mild" oblique strain. Freddy Galvis will fill in for Utley in real life, and he's not a terrible fantasy fill-in if your league is deep. Your other potential free-agent targets are San Diego's Jedd Gyorko (24.9 percent owned) and Colorado's somewhat speedy DJ LeMahieu (1.2 percent owned).
- Red Sox 3B Will Middlebrooks is day-to-day after leaving Thursday's game with back spasms.
- It sounds like Adam Eaton's elbow injury setback will probably keep him our for another month or so. A.J. Pollock owners probably aren't disappointed.
- Here are some injury updates from the Marlins, who could get 1B Logan Morrison back by the end of next week.
- Remember in early April, when Royals closer Greg Holland was struggling, and flamethrowing Kelvin Herrera was a lock to take over? Herrera is on his way to Triple A. Giving up eight home runs in 20 1/3 innings didn't help his cause much.
- Watch Jered Weaver's progress over the weekend, because he could return to the Angels' rotation as soon as Monday.
- Twins SS Pedro Florimon is day-to-day with a sprained right index finger.
- Zack Wheeler's promotion to the Mets appears to be getting pretty close.
- The Yankees might get 3B Kevin Youkilis back from the DL next week, with Mark Teixeira maybe a week behind him.
- The Mariners have sent Jesus Montero to Triple A, and his catching days are probably over. With prospect Mike Zunino not yet ready, Kelly Shoppach becomes the Mariners' regular catcher.
- Chris Carpenter's rehab is going well. Wasn't he ready to retire in February?
- Tigers OF Austin Jackson (hamstring) is eligible to come off the DL Monday, but the Tigers don't plan to rush him.
- The Blue Jays will promote lefty Sean Nolin (1.17 ERA in three Double-A starts) to make his big-league debut tonight against the Orioles. Here's a tepid review of one of Nolin's recent starts. Don't get too excited here.
- Ken Rosenthal noted earlier this week that the Nationals might be grooming prospect Anthony Rendon to take over for Danny Espinosa at second base. The Nats say that isn't the case, which would be believable if Espinosa wasn't such a horrible hitter right now.
See you back here Monday morning.