Thursday's Diamondbacks-Rockies game was delayed by a swarm of bees. The FOX Sports Arizona story includes the following paragraph:
Play resumed when the bees settled in a cluster on a railing in front of a camera well just beyond the dugout. Beekeeper David Bowers removed the bees by sucking them up with a "bee vac" two innings later.
Do the Rockies have a beekeeper on retainer? Why was he so close to the stadium that he could get his bee vac, drive to the stadium, park in close proximity, put on his beekeeper suit, go inside and get the bees sucked up within, say, 45 minutes? I need further clarification here.
Edinson Volquez wasn't so good last night, dropping our streaming starter record to 29-16. Today's pick is Edwin Jackson (owned in 23.2 percent of FOXSports.com leagues) against the Orioles. Saturday's is Colorado's Christian Friedrich (5.5 percent owned) against the punchless Mariners, and Sunday's is Anthony Bass (10.2 percent owned) at PETCO against the Angels. I'll try to tweet out Monday's pick over the weekend - there are too many TBDs on the schedule right now.
On to the news:
- With interleague play starting today, some American League designated hitters will take unwanted days off. Not so for hot-hitting Adam Dunn, who will start in left field today for the White Sox, sending Dayan Viciedo to the bench. According to the team's website, manager Robin Ventura will try to get Viciedo playing time beyond just pinch-hitting appearances, but won't put him at third base and probably won't play him in right field. Unless Dunn sits for a game - perhaps Sunday against southpaw Paul Maholm - Viciedo won't have much to do this weekend.
- Reminder: The likeliest playing-time victims of this weekend's interleague schedule are DHs David Ortiz and Kendrys Morales. However, the Red Sox are hinting that Ortiz will play one game at first base, with Adrian Gonzalez moving to right field.
- Blue Jays 3B Brett Lawrie began serving his four-game suspension on Thursday, and will be eligible to play again on Monday. Rookie Yan Gomes (.359 BA, five HR, .956 OPS at Triple A) is expected to get Lawrie's starts this weekend. Gomes has been splitting his Triple-A time between third base and catcher, which is where he qualifies in FOXSports.com leagues. He's an interesting AL-only target if he sticks around for awhile.
- The Jays had a busy Thursday, also sending 1B Adam Lind to the minors. The move makes Edwin Encarnacion the team's everyday first baseman, and probably means that DH Vladimir Guerrero will be in Toronto sooner than we thought. Keep in mind that Vlad really declined last season, with 13 homers and a .733 OPS in 562 at bats. He's 37, and could be close to done.
- So much for wondering how the Cardinals will find playing time for OF Allen Craig, who was placed on the DL with a strained hamstring. On the bright side, the Cards hope to get Carlos Beltran (knee) back in the lineup tonight. Beltran was only able to pinch-hit on Thursday.
- Cubs catcher Geovany Soto is day-to-day with knee inflammation, and will have an MRI today. If Soto (.161 BA) sits out today, it will probably be less infuriating to his fantasy owners than if he plays.
- The Brewers are targeting a Sunday return from the DL for OF Carlos Gomez.
- The Nationals are hoping to speed up Michael Morse's recovery timetable and activate him by June 1.
- Tigers OF Austin Jackson didn't play Thursday due to his abdominal strain, and is still day-to-day. Keep Jackson on your bench until you know he's playing.
- Rays SP Matt Moore gave up three runs in six innings against the Red Sox last night, but whiffing eight batters against one walk was an encouraging development. After all the preseason hype, can you buy low on Moore and his 5.20 ERA?
- Padres rookie OF James Darnell left Thursday's game with a shoulder injury, and will have an MRI today.
- With Brandon Inge on the DL, Josh Donaldson started at third base yesterday for the A's. Donaldson got off to a horrendous start for the A's, but was hitting pretty well at Triple A (.447 BA, five HR in 13 games) before returning to Oakland last weekend. Donaldson qualifies at catcher in most leagues, and AL-only owners should see if he's available.
- Ivan Nova (ankle) will probably be able to make his scheduled start on Saturday for the Yankees.
- The Twins reversed course on C/OF Ryan Doumit, deciding not to put him on the DL with a strained calf. Doumit should be able to return to the lineup early next week.
- There's no update on when Torii Hunter will return to the Angels.
- The Royals hope to get injured catcher Salvador Perez back in about a month.
- The Marlins plan to start Logan Morrison at DH this weekend in an effort to give his sore knee some rest.
- Orioles OF Adam Jones hit his 13th home run of the season yesterday. Jones is a nice, young player, but sell high if you can. He's not this good.
- Brandon Beachy - wow.
- The Padres released 2B Orlando Hudson on Thursday, and placed SS Jason Bartlett (knee) on the DL. Alexi Amarista and Everth Cabrera are the new middle infielders for the Padres. Cabrera had 15 stolen bases in 34 games at Triple A, and should be claimed in NL-only and some deep mixed leagues. Bartlett has been terrible, anyway.
See you back here Monday morning.
Check out more Fantasy Baseball News and Notes.