Welcome to my first baseball blog entry of the season. It's a good thing I'm starting these now, because with four drafts (maybe more) coming in the next four weeks, I really need to keep up with what's going on. Who's Yu Darvish, anyway?
- Oh, that's right. Darvish is the Rangers' newest starter, imported from the Japanese league. He struggled with his control on Tuesday, issuing four four-pitch walks in three innings. Remember: It's March, and the games don't count, so don't worry unless this wildness becomes a habit. Consider Darvish an SP4 in standard mixed leagues.
- In the Orlando area? Nationals' phenom Bryce Harper (calf) will return to the lineup tonight against the Braves. The Braves will start stud prospect Julio Teheran in the game, making it must-see TV (MLB.TV, actually) for keeper leagues. Harper is still iffy to make the Opening Day roster, so stop picking him in redraft leagues.
- Quick note: This blog, which is scheduled to appear Monday-Wednesday-Friday until Opening Day, won't necessarily address every minor injury from Florida and Arizona. They happen all the time in the spring, and managers are cautious, so we don't need to worry about every tweaked hamstring. If you're curious about a specific player, tweet me or post a message on my Facebook page.
- Royals C Salvador Perez injured a knee prior to Tuesday's game, and results of his MRI are expected to be available today. Keep your fingers crossed for the youngster, and for the Royals.
- Diamondbacks SS Stephen Drew, who broke his ankle last July, is still recovering and unlikely to be ready for Opening Day. Drew seems to be progressing, and while it doesn't sound like he'll be out for too long, this isn't good news.
- Marlins OF Logan Morrison hasn't played in a Grapefruit League game due to his sore right knee, which underwent arthroscopic surgery in December. It doesn't sound serious, but keep an eye on LoMo.
- Planning to draft Dodgers OF Jerry Sands in an NL-only league? It sounds like his roster spot isn't quite locked up.
- Brewers SP Shaun Marcum is battling shoulder soreness, but should be ready to start the season.
- Buried at the bottom of this story about Johan Santana is a note that the Mets hope 3B David Wright (ribcage) can resume baseball activities as soon as this weekend. You didn't jettison Wright from your draftboard after hearing about his cortisone shot earlier this week, did you?
- The Phillies will be sending Domonic Brown back to the minors at some point. Don't get any ideas about picking him in a redraft league.
- Are the offensively-challenged Giants really having that much trouble finding a spot for Brandon Belt? Good grief, this is ridiculous.
- On Tuesday, Hetcor Noesi continued to make his case for a spot in the Mariners' rotation. AL-only owners, keep an eye on this guy.
- Reid Brignac appears to be gaining ground on Sean Rodriguez in their battle for the Rays' starting shortstop job.
- The White Sox closer competition is far from settled. I'm rooting for Bobby Thigpen.
See you back here on Friday morning.